Yield : 10 x 15 inch Focaccia
Difficulty : intermediate
Prep time : 20 min. + 35 min. for leavening
Baking time : 20 min.
Tools : wooden spoon,
10 x 15 inch baking pan
lb. flour 00
7 gr active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 tsp salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) / coarse sea salt / lukewarm water , for sprinkling
– Proof the yeast adding 1/4 cup of lukewarm water and a teaspoon of sugar. Stir until dissolved and wait ’til bubbles form on top.
– In a large bowl combine flour and salt then make a well and add the yeast, the EVOO and the water. Stir together all the ingredients with a wooden spoon until a sticky dough forms.
– Drizzle with EVOO and cover with a kitchen towel. Allow to rest for 15 minutes.
– Grease with EVOO a 10 x15 inch baking pan.
– Transfer the dough onto the greased pan, then stretch it gently with the palm of your hands.
– With your fingertips, make little dimples on the surface of the dough.
– Sprinkle with a generous amount of EVOO, coarse sea salt and spray some water over it.
-Preheat oven at 400 F degrees.
-Cover the dough again with the kitchen towel and allow to rest for 25 minutes.
-Remove the cover and make other dimples being very careful not to break the bubbles of the dough.
-Sprinkle the dimples with a little EVOO.
-Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
-Transfer the focaccia on a wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.
Courtesy of Ale Gambini – breadloveanddreams.com
Ale Gambini (Host Home Chef & Founder)
Maurizio “OTTO” De Togni (Film & Music Maker – Executive & Media Producer)